SMART Irrigation is a practical way for irrigators to implement and demonstrate Good Management Practice.
Well managed irrigation is part of the commitment by IrrigationNZ and our members to the Good Farming Practice Action Plan for Water Quality adopted in June 2018 (download guide below).
SMART Irrigation allows irrigators to maintain financial viability whilst meet community expectations around sustainable water management.
Requirements of SMART Irrigation
- The irrigation system is efficient
- Irrigation is scheduled
- Operators are trained
- Auditable records are kept
The Irrigation System is Efficient
- Any new development, upgrade or redevelopment is consistent with the Irrigation Design and Installation Codes of Practice and Standards. Using an Accredited Irrigation Design company is the best way to achieve this.
- Any new development, upgrade or redevelopment is commissioned to demonstrate it has achieved its design performance parameters.
- All irrigation systems have an annual performance assessment (a Bucket Test) to demonstrate they are performing efficiently.
Irrigation is scheduled
- When scheduling irrigation, water use must be compliant with your consent conditions - this is a legal requirement.
- There are a two ways to schedule your irrigation, these are
Operators are trained
- Training is key for everyone involved in irrigation and must include health and safety considerations.
- INZ runs practical irrigation manager and irrigation development training days and workshops that provide a great way for irrigators to upskill and be safe.
- INZ has developed a number of resources for irrigators including guides, templates and checklists, these are available free to all INZ members, or provided free as part of the training.
Auditable records are kept
- Records are key to SMART Irrigation. Without evidence you cannot be accountable.
- Records also provide a useful tool for analysis of performance and continual improvement.
The "guide to water management during the irrigation season" provides some simple tips for you to manage your irrigation efficiently.