Preparing a clear and accurate design brief (specification) is essential if irrigators are to get the irrigation system they require for meeting both production (quality and yield) and environmental (seasonal allocation, water use efficiency and nutrient loss) targets. Irrigators also require an understanding of irrigation system performance indicators, this allows an informed purchasing decision based on the ability of the design to meet their design brief (specification).The Irrigation Decision Support package has been developed by INZ to help -
- Irrigators gather the right information to prepare a design brief (specification)
- Irrigators better understand irrigation system performance indicators when comparing design quotes
- Irrigation designers develop a design brief (specification) based on irrigator supplied information
- Irrigation designers prepare a quotation using standardised irrigation system performance indicators
The package includes -
- Irrigation Development Guide – a booklet explaining how to gather the information to correctly prepare an irrigation system design brief (specification)
- Irrigation Development Checklist – a template to ensure all the information required is gathered and provided to a designer. It includes sample information and calculations. This document also has an explanation of irrigation system performance indicators
- Case studies – Understand the importance of the irrigation design standards
- Standard irrigation contract - The contract is drafted to give the Purchaser and Contractor confidence that what they are buying or supplying is clearly stipulated, and that both parties have the same expectation in the performance of the service.
Take time to read and understand each clause in the contract. DO NOT sign, unless you have read the checklist and answered yes to all the questions. We also recommend you take independent legal advice.
It is recommended that the contract should only be undertaken by Contractors who have an understanding of the INZ -
- Design Standards for Piped Irrigation Systems in New Zealand;
- Code of Practice for the Design of Piped Irrigation Systems in New Zealand;
- Installation Code of Practice for Piped Irrigation Systems in New Zealand.