INZ focuses its advocacy work at the national level. We only get involved in the regions if the issue is precedent-setting for irrigation.
Advocacy Hot Topics:
- Submissions on Environment Canterbury’s Proposed Plan Change 7 to the Land and Water Regional Plan: PC7 Changes Summary document
- Government Freshwater Reforms including -
- Resource Management Act reforms
- Freshwater Management National Policy Statement
- Review of the current allocation system and resolving iwi rights and interests
- Irrigation Good Management Practice expectations and reporting
- Freshwater monitoring and reporting
- Financial Reporting Exemptions for Irrigation Companies and Co-operatives - Financial Markets Conduct Act
- Irrigation Scheme Valuations - Rating Valuations Act
- Centre Pivot Electrical Safety – Electrical Regulation Act
INZ's other main focus is building capability and capacity for the irrigation sector. Everyone needs to be enabled to achieve Good Practice.
- Development of an irrigation engineering apprenticeship for the Service Industry
- Integrating the irrigation management qualification into primary sector apprenticeship and cadet programmes
- Development of an e-learning platform to readily provide ‘SMART tips and tools’ for irrigation